INTERNATIONAL CELLO COMPETITION
The drawing of lots will take place on September 1, 2018.
The first round will take place on September 2, 3 and 4, 2018. Duration of the program: 25 minutes.
The second round will take place on September 6 and 7, 2018. Duration of the program: 40 minutes.
The Semifinal will take place on September 9, 2018. Duration of the program: 50 minutes.
The rehearsals with the orchestra for the final round will take place on September 10 and 11, 2018.
The Final round will take place on September 11, 2018.
At the end of each round, the Competition Secretariat will announce the results, immediately after the Jury deliberation.
The repertoire included in the registration form by the competitor is final and cannot be altered.
Competitors may present their choice of works in any order, in each round.
All works shall be performed by memory except the cello and piano sonatas and the works composed by George Enescu.
1. A Caprice or Etude chosen by the competitor among:
- Alfredo Piatti Op. 25 (no. 2, 3,6, or 8)
- David Popper Op. 73 (no. 20 or 29)
2. Haydn – The first part with Cadenza chosen by the competitor among the following:
- Concerto no. 1 in C major (Hob VII b:1)
- Concerto no. 2 in D major (Hob VII b:2)
3. Schumann – Adagio and Allegro Op.70
1. A work chosen by the competitor among:
- Schubert: Arpeggione Sonata
- Brahms: Sonata Op.38 or Op.99
2. A solo piece chosen by the competitor among:
- Kodaly: Cello Solo sonata Op.8, first movement
- Ligeti: Cello Solo Sonata
- Hindemith: Cello Solo Sonata no. 3 Op. 25
- Penderecki: Divertimento for Cello Solo
- Crumb: Cello Solo Sonata
3. A virtuosity piece chosen by the competitor among:
- David Popper: Elfentanz Op. 39 or Spinning Song Op. 55
- Karl Davydov: At the Fountain Op. 20
- M. Rostropovich: Humoresque Op. 5
Semifinal (with piano)
1. Enescu: Sonata no.2 in C major Op.26
2. A piece chosen by the competitor among:
- Shostakovich: Cello sonata in D minor Op.40
- Debussy: Cello and Piano Sonata in D minor
- Prokofiev: Cello and piano sonata in C major Op.119
Final – concert with orchestra
A Concerto for Cello and Orchestra chosen by the competitor among: Dvorak, Elgar, Prokofiev (Sinfonia Concertante in E minor Op. 125), Shostakovich (Concerto no. 1) or Enescu (Symphonie Concertante Op. 8).