National Chamber Choir “Madrigal – Marin Constantin”
National Chamber Choir MADRIGAL was founded in 1963 by conductor Marin Constantin and it is one of the most apreciated professional choirs, a symbol of Romanian and universal musical life and in 50 years of continuous artistic existence his name represented Romania in the world, thus becoming a real “country brand”.
MADRIGAL choir is unique through its specific sonority, stereophonic placement on scene, medieval Western European costumes, recently renewed by designer Doina Levintza and its repertoire that includes European Renaissance music, jewels of Romanian classical music, traditional carols, Byzantine documents, contemporary Romanian compositions, universal music from various creation periods and vocal-instrumental chamber works.
The National Chamber Choir MADRIGAL – in its five decades of artistic life – has performed over 4,100 concerts in Romania and on famous scenes in Europe, U.S., Japan, Turkey, Korea, etc., winning international music critics praise and receiving numerous romanian awards and honors, culminating with the title “UNESCO World Heritage List” (Paris, 1992) and “The Grand Order of Commander ” – awarded by the President of Romania in 2003.
Prolonged and prestigious MADRIGAL choir activity consists in:
– 46 C.D.’s – registered by Electrecord, Intercont, ‘Mysterium’ CD with soprano Angela Gheorghiu, London Philarmonic Orchestra, conductor Ion Marin.
– 24 short films and TV movies made between 1967-2010 in Romania, Italy, Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Japan, Macedonia and BBC production with Angela Gheorghiu in the Monasteries of Bucovina;
– Movie “Renaissance Songs” – directed by Mirel Ilieşu, awarded with Grand Palme d’Or at Cannes Festival in 1968;
– Shows performed at Romanian Television and Radio Romania;
– in vocal-symphonic chamber domain, in collaboration with prestigious conductors and Romanian and international orchestras : National Radio Orchestra (conductor Iosif Conta), Virtuosos of Bucharest (conductor Horia Andreescu), Concertgebouw from Amsterdam (conductor Ferdinand Leitner), Orchestra Sinfonietta from Berlin and Munich Philharmonic (conducted by Ion Marin), Chamber Symphony Orchestra from Bremen (conductor Louis Langrée).
The four books on the history of MADRIGAL choir :
„MADRIGAL Choir of the Conservatory” – by Viorel Cosma, Bucharest -1973;
„Constellation MADRIGAL” – Marin Constantin in dialogue with Iosif Sava – Bucharest 1993;
„MADRIGAL choir or magic sound” by Grigore Constantinescu 1996;
„The conductor Marin Constantin” – essayistic portrait by Viorel Cosma, Bucharest 2011.
In 2011-2014 the National Chamber Choir MADRIGAL was conducted by Voicu Popescu, outstanding personality of Romanian and international choral life, disciple and follower of the concept created by Marin Constantin conductor. In the present, the Choir is conducted by Anna Ungureanu.